Tuesday, May 16

Much ado...

So once again - life is getting in the way of being able to blog properly... I'm really trying not to put any pressure on myself - My goal is basically to try to post about 2-3 times a week. But it's been a week since my last post. I am determined that blogging is something that I find fun and good to do - not something that is a chore, and not something I should beat myself up about if I don't post every single day. The main reason I haven't posted is that I want to get 7 squares done on my log cabin - it will be very photogenic, I promise! I'm close - oh so close to being done with the 7th square, but being that it's not a good portable project I haven't been able to work on it as much as I'd like. And I don't have any pics of it with 5 or 6 squares.

Good news is that I've been walking every day that I can. I got a pedometer -and am trying to do at least 10,000 steps a day. I found out that my "long" walk is just short of 2 miles. Which also means that I've made some progress on the silk spinning. Here's a pic I took earlier today. One week's worth. It's spun pretty darn fine - so fine I don't even want to attempt a WPI test. So I'm sure I've actually got a good amount of yardage here.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it. Someone commented yesterday saying that the dream swatch scarf on the Garter Belt could work nicely - but I'm sure that by the time that I ply with the silk that I already have that I will have enough yardage to do something a bit bigger.

Yesterday was way too windy to walk, so I sat in the break room and worked on a sock that I started about a year ago. They're supposed to be a present - but I'm thinking I might just keep them for myself - I really need more socks. It's nothing too exciting - just a plain vanilla ribbed ankle sock in Sockotta Blues. I've started the heel flap. You can see the stitch holders that I use. Basically it's just a couple of caps connected by some elastic. I picked up several of these from Knitpicks - though I don't know if they carry them anymore, they sure are handy!

I did actually get a bunch done on the log cabin over the weekend. We decided to take a trip to a small town about 150 miles north-east of here, there's a bar for sale up there that looked like it could be a good deal - the building itself was nice - good layout, nice pool tables - dance floor... But let's just say the locals at the bar were a bit of a rough crowd. One of those teeth-are-optional type places and really pretty rowdy (we got there at about 3pm).

At one point I went outside to go check something out - and one of the regulars took one look at me - and said "These are for you because you're so hot!!" and promptly threw a handful of cheese puffs at me! Let me tell you, I was honored! I have to say that's not a way that I've ever been hit on before. I mean, this total stranger was sharing his food with me. Bestill my heart. Mating rituals in the boonies- who knew cheese puffs were involved?

Anyway, on the way back our friend who was driving decided that coming back through the Feather River Canyon would be a very good idea - very scenic - and indeed it was... One slight problem was that the Feather River Canyon goes North East - When we'd already driven North East to go see this bar... Turns out that we ended up coming home through Nevada! I did a Yahoo map of our route - if you're interested you can check it out here. The trip to where we were going was about 150 miles - so 300 miles round trip could be considered reasonable right? Well it ended up being more like 525 miles round trip.

I'm so glad I took my OCLC! I had a whole bag full of yarn, and plenty of room in the back seat to spread out. I knit as long as I had light. We ended up getting home at 12:30 in the morning. I finished off the 6th log cabin block, and started the 7th on the trip. I will post pictures as soon as I can I promise it will be worth the wait.

Until then - have fun!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite the road trip!! Though I have to say I love them as you can find the most interesting places that way. Thank goodness for knitting to keep us occupied at times eh? The silk looks beautiful by the way!